Sunday, August 16, 2009

Exploring the Wonders of Chinatown

I visited Chinatown two days in a row this week (and also stopping by Soho both days to check out the Acne and Opening Ceremony shoes, putting myself on the waitlist for both...oof) and cannot get over how awesome it is. Its like I took a 10 minute plane ride to China...although I've nver been to China I don't know how it actually is...but I'm thinking it would be somewhat similar. There are so many fruit stands of exotic fruits you can't get at regular grocery stores; dried food ranging from fruit to fish; Chinese people who can't speak English; loads of cheap restaurants, bakeries, and bubble tea places.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I had dim sum for brunch at a restaurant called Golden Unicorn. There was a 20 minute waiting line, and carts passed us by to choose what we wanted. I used to frequent a great dim sum house in San Francisco when I lived in NorCal, and this reminded me alot of it. There are probably more great dim sum places, but this one was good enough to visit again - I was happily full. My favorite was this dish I forgot to take a picture of, it has shrimp in it and is drenched in this soy sauce-like liquid.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Then I went to a bubble tea place called Ten Ren and got the Taro Milk Iced Tapioca for only three bucks. My friend took me and she says its the best bubble tea in the city, I trust her because I thoroughly enjoyed my drink and would want to go back to try more flavors.

Walked all the way in the beating sun to Soho to look around again, and we took photos of each other a la Sartorialist to end the day.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment